IU REDCap Office Hours
Join us for online IU REDCap Office Hours every Wednesday from 3 - 4:30 pm.
Wednesday, February 28
Wednesday, March 6
Wednesday, March 13
No registration needed! Just click here to join the Zoom session.
Interested in learning more about IU REDCap?
Take a look at the IU REDCap training page!
Researchers, need to cite or get boilerplate language about IU REDCap?
See the Indiana CTSI's REDCap Citation page!
- on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 5:15am Eastern for about ten minutes,
- on the 4th Sunday of each month at 9am Eastern for about one hour, and
- a few times a year on the 3rd Sunday of the month at midnight for about two hours.
By using IU REDCap you agree to these terms.
Please log in with your user name and password. If you are having trouble logging in, please contact IU REDCap Support.
REDCap is a secure web platform for building and managing online databases and surveys. REDCap's streamlined process for rapidly creating and designing projects offers a vast array of tools that can be tailored to virtually any data collection strategy.
REDCap provides automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to Excel and common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R), as well as a built-in project calendar, a scheduling module, ad hoc reporting tools, and advanced features, such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
Learn more about REDCap by watching a
brief summary video (4 min).
If you would like to view other quick video tutorials of REDCap in action and an overview of its features, please see the
Please be aware that:
1. REDCap is for use primarily in support of research, quality improvement, and operational support. Utilization of REDCap beyond those noted is unsupported. Do NOT use REDCap for purposes such as storing official university business data, patient care data, or electronic health records (EHRs). If you need further clarification on appropriate use, please contact us (see contact information below).
2. When using REDCap for storing academic research data containing electronic protected health information (ePHI), please note that you and the Principal Investigator (PI) are responsible for the privacy and security of these data and for compliance with any applicable federal and state laws and regulations, and institutional policies; this includes the appropriate Institutional Review Board (IRB) approvals and a Data Management Plan. Be advised that CTSI provides technical and physical controls against the unauthorized release of data in accordance with HIPAA for this software tool, but responsibility for administrative controls (including granting access and terminating access, providing training, creating policies on usage, etc.), rests with you and the PI.
If you require assistance or have any questions about REDCap, please contact IU REDCap Support.
IU REDCap Features
Build online surveys and databases quickly and securely in your browser - Create and design your project using a secure login from any device. No extra software required. Access from anywhere, at any time.
Fast and flexible - Go from project creation to starting data collection in less than one day. Customizations and changes are possible any time, even after data collection has begun.
Advanced instrument design features - Auto-validation, calculated fields, file uploading, branching/skip logic, and survey stop actions.
Diverse and flexible survey distribution options - Use a list of email addresses or phone numbers for your survey respondents and automatically contact them with personalized messages, and track who has responded. Or create a simple link for an anonymous survey for mass email mailings, to post on a website, or print on a flyer.
Data quality - Use field validation, branching/skip logic, and Missing Data Codes to improve and protect data quality during data entry. Open data queries to automatically identify and resolve discrepancies and other issues real-time.
Custom reporting - Create custom searches for generating reports to view aggregate data. Identify trends with built-in basic statistics and charts.
Export data to common analysis packages - Export your data as a PDF or as CSV data for easy analysis in SAS, Stata, R, SPSS, or Microsoft Excel.
Data-based triggers and alerts - Send real-time alerts and notifications to your team or other stakeholders via email, text, or phone based on certain data being entered or specific questions having a particular answer.
Connect to other resources - Use built-in features (API) to move data to/from your project. Build your own custom software development features to connect your project to other systems.